The ACLU of Nebraska fights tirelessly in the Legislature, the courts, and in our communities to protect and expand civil liberties for all Nebraskans. With the support of our strong staff, dedicated board members, steadfast supporters, and diverse partners, the ACLU of Nebraska truly makes a difference in the lives of all Nebraskans.
Our work is as crucial as it’s ever been because our civil rights and civil liberties are constantly under attack. Despite the challenges, we stand resilient and make progress together as we strive to realize the aspiration in Nebraska’s state motto of “Equality Before the Law.”
Here are a few recent victories that we couldn’t have achieved without you:
- Passed legislation to require antibias or implicit bias training for all law enforcement officers, a bill inspired by our groundbreaking report “Equality Before the Stop.”
- Successfully forced the State to reveal hidden information about its purchase of death penalty drugs.
- Partnered with ACLU National on a federal lawsuit to protect the rights and safety of meatpacking plant workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Contributed to record general election turnout through a historic $250k voter education campaign targeting the most marginalized voters in Nebraska.
- Discovered errors misinforming system-impacted Nebraskans about their voting rights and alerted them before the election.
- Supported more than 100 Black Lives Matter protesters who were subjected to a mass arrest through our Freedom Fund and launched a federal civil rights lawsuit to protect future protests.
- Shed light on the problematic implementation of a suspect biased counseling law that makes doctors tell their patients medication abortion can be stopped midway through the process through a “reversal” medication that it is not backed by science.
- Passed legislation to end solitary confinement for juveniles in Nebraska.
- Successfully protected Nebraskans’ rights through administrative advocacy for policies and practices that affirm and protect LGBTQIA+ Nebraskans.
I hope you will join us in this fight by becoming a member of the ACLU.
By working together, we will build upon the 50+ year history of this trailblazing organization and move towards a brighter future for freedom and justice in Nebraska.
In freedom and friendship,