Due to high interest, we are no longer accepting applications for this role. This listing will be deleted once the position is filled.
The ACLU of Nebraska is expanding capacity to strengthen its ability to defend civil rights and civil liberties.
The Communications Associate will advance the ACLU of Nebraska’s strategic priorities by effectively communicating across various platforms, facilitating earned media opportunities, and assisting in occasional advertising and sponsorship decisions. The Communications Associate will report directly to the Communications Director and will regularly collaborate with legal, development and administrative staff.
The ACLU of Nebraska is the state affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, a nonpartisan public interest civil rights organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights through litigation, policy advocacy and public education. Our communications program supports this work by mobilizing Nebraskans to take action, educating the public about our rights and influencing the way civil liberties are discussed in our state.
The ACLU of Nebraska is proud to foster a fun and fast-paced work environment. Our offices are in the heart of Nebraska’s capital city, Lincoln, Nebraska. Our 9-person staff is complemented by a contract lobbyist, law clerks, dozens of volunteer attorneys, and thousands of supporters statewide.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Strategy: In consultation with the Communications Director, determine ideal communication channels and tactics for distributing ACLU content, promoting advocacy campaigns, and making civil liberties accessible and relevant to communities statewide.
- Digital communications: Develop digital media content, including social media posts, web updates, videos and email communication. Monitor social media channels for opportunities to engage and leverage internal analytics to optimize communications.
- Media relations: Assist with pitching news stories, managing the media database and coaching staff for successful interviews.
- Brand management: Ensure consistent, clear messaging that represents the ACLU of Nebraska and its positions compellingly and convincingly.
- Integrated advocacy: Work in partnership with staff to co-produce external communications, ranging from detailed reports to legislative calls to action.
Rare evening and weekend work is sometimes required to facilitate community outreach or react to pressing cirumstances with a connection to Nebraskans’ civil rights and civil liberties.
Desired Experiences and Qualifications
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in communications, including public relations, marketing or journalism.
- Experience or a demonstrated solid understanding of brand social media management, including familiarity with popular social publishing, reporting and listening tools.
- Experience developing digital content, such as videos and graphics. Adobe Photoshop and Premiere editing skills are a plus, as are familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite and basic website CMS functions.
- Excellent communication and writing skills. Experience with AP style a plus.
- Goal-focused, self-motivated, creative, flexible and adaptable to new situations.
- Detail-oriented with strong follow through, demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines.
Candidates fluent in languages other than English are strongly encouraged to apply as are candidates with experience in policy, government, community organizing, or electoral campaigns.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The ACLU of Nebraska is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals of any race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability or veteran status with no regard to record of arrest or conviction.
Civil rights and civil liberties violations disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society – including people of color, people who have struggled financially, women and LGBTQIA+ people. These communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or those whom are members of other marginalized communities.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full time, non-exempt role. The salary range for this position ranges from $40,000 to a maximum of $50,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits include vacation, sick leave, and parental leave, generous health, dental, and vision insurance with employee and family premiums paid 100% by the employer, a 401k match, cell phone reimbursement, and paid parking.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Associate. In your cover letter, please indicate where you learned of the position.