Leer pagina en español.



The ACLU of Nebraska generally DOES NOT accept walk-in requests for assistance. In order to request legal assistance, please email gethelp@aclunebraska.org or call our partner Legal Aid of Nebraska’s statewide Accessline 1-877-250-2016 Mon/Wed from 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. or Tuesday/Thursday from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.


If you do not wish to submit your request via email or phone you may write a letter and send it to:

Legal Aid of Nebraska (ACLU Intake)
209 S. 19th St., Suite 200
Omaha, NE  68102 

Please include the following information in your letter:



Mailing address:

Telephone number:

Email address: 

Who is your complaint against?:

When (date and time) and where (city and state) did the incident occur?:

Brief description of situation:


All information you provide will be kept confidential to Legal Aid of Nebraska and the ACLU of Nebraska.


Our work focuses on constitutional rights. Because the Constitution only protects us from government action, we rarely handle cases involving conflicts between private individuals or private companies. We also cannot agree to address every complaint about government action. Generally, we do not handle individual criminal cases, family law matters, juvenile court matters, commercial disputes, or employment law matters. In many cases, representation is declined based simply upon our strategic agenda, the current state of the law, or based upon the amount of time and resources required to advance your claim. If we are unable to assist with your request, our legal intake partners at Legal Aid of Nebraska may be able to assist you.


Requesting legal assistance is not an offer by the ACLU to represent you as your attorneys and does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and the ACLU of Nebraska or you and the Legal Aid of Nebraska. We cannot promise you that the information you provide will lead to any specific action. Please also understand that, through our communications with you, we have not entered an attorney-client relationship with you and have undertaken no obligation to protect or advance your legal claims.

You are solely responsible for any statutes of limitations or other deadlines which might apply to your case unless the ACLU of Nebraska formally agrees in writing to take your case. If you have concerns about deadlines or your legal issues demand immediate attention, please seek advice from an attorney.


For non-criminal legal services: 

Legal Aid of Nebraska 

(877) 250-2016



For workplace, housing, and public accommodations discrimination:

Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission

Lincoln: (800) 642-6112
Omaha: (800) 382-7820

City of Omaha Human Rights & Relations Department (complaints within city limits)
(402) 444-5049

For disability rights advocacy:
Disability Rights Nebraska 
134 South 13th Street, Suite 600 
Lincoln, NE 68508 
(800) 422-6691 

For complaints about health care facilities, caseworkers, etc.:
Nebraska DHHS Investigations 

For general complaints about state agencies:
Nebraska Ombudsman’s Office
State Capitol
P.O. Box 94604
Lincoln, NE 68509-4604

For general advocacy on child welfare, immigration, affordable health care and poverty policies:
Nebraska Appleseed 
947 O Street, Suite 401 
Lincoln, NE 68508 
(402) 438-8853 

To submit a complaint against a judge:
Nebraska Judicial Qualifications Commission 
Secretary, Nebraska Commission on Judicial Qualifications
P.O. Box 98910 
Lincoln, NE 68509-8910
(402) 471-3730 

For complaints against attorneys:
Counsel for Discipline
3808 Normal Boulevard
Lincoln, NE 68506
Phone: (402) 471-1040

For pro bono or immigration legal services and immigration attorney referrals:
1-855-307-6730 (press 9 to leave voicemail)
Monday-Friday: 9AM-3PM CT

For housing issues:
Family Housing Advisory Services
(402) 934-7921

For complaints about businesses:
Better Business Bureau


For basic needs (food, shelter, clothing, transportation etc.):

Community-Action Partnership
210 O Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
(402) 471-4515

Center for People in Need
3901 North 27th Street, Unit 1
Lincoln, NE 68521
(402) 476-4357

For deaf and hard of hearing advocacy:
Nebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
4600 Valley Road, Suite 420
Lincoln, NE 68510
(402) 471-3593

For complaints about law enforcement:
Follow your local law enforcement agency’s complaint process. If the issue is not resolved or not resolved to your satisfaction, feel free to contact the ACLU again with documentation about your complaint and the agency’s response.

For free legal help regarding special education, suspension, expulsion, or due process issues in public schools:
Education Rights Counsel
(402) 263-6200