The ACLU of Nebraska seeks a motivated and energetic Pre-Law Intern who can strengthen the infrastructure of Nebraska’s largest civil liberties organization. Gain a broad-based perspective on an array of operations that go into managing a nonprofit.
Thank you for considering working with the ACLU! You can find information about both employment and internship opportunities on this page.
Current opening: Part-Time Office Manager
The American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska seeks a Part-Time Office Manager to support our work to protect and defend the civil rights and civil liberties of all Nebraskans through our sophisticated program of integrated advocacy which includes litigation, policy advocacy, and community empowerment strategies. The ACLU of Nebraska is expanding capacity to fight back against broad attacks on civil liberties while continuing to vigorously move our mission forward. Our goals are both resistance and progress.
This new position will report directly to the Director of Finance & Operations. This is a half-time position to be scheduled for 20 hours per week with flexible scheduling during regular business hours. This is a non-exempt, hourly position.
The ACLU of Nebraska is a leader among state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, the country's premier guardian of liberty. For over 50 years in the Cornhusker State we have worked in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend American rights to freedom, fairness and equality. The ACLU is nonprofit and nonpartisan. In recent years, our litigation program has struck down the state defense of marriage act, abolished the ban on LGBT foster parents, secured the right to marry for those that are incarcerated, settled excessive force cases to reform police practices, and challenged free speech infringements. Our policy program has scored victories to enact smart criminal justice reforms and victories for women’s rights. Our community education program conducts about a hundred events annually reaching thousands of Nebraskans and empowering them to know their rights.
Our office is located in the heart of Nebraska’s capital city of Lincoln. Our small but mighty 7-person staff is complemented by a contract lobbyist, dozens of volunteers, and thousands of supporters statewide. The ACLU of Nebraska is proud to foster a fun and fast paced work environment. The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, criminal history, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups such as women, LGBT, those with a disability, racial or ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Office Manager will play a key role in facilitating the smooth functioning of a high-performing office. They will work closely with the Director of Finance & Operations to drive a variety of projects in the areas of financial management, facilities and procurement, and organizational development.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Finance & Operations, assist with financial tasks such as cost coding and budget tracking and administrative support for the board of directors.
- Supervise general office operations and space management. Assist with space expansion project.
- Manage equipment and office supplies, files, storage and archiving procedures, including ensuring compliance with records retention policy and confidentiality.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail.
- Provide administrative support for staff such as meeting coordination, travel arrangements, and general reception for visitors.
Experience & Qualifications
This position requires flexibility, positivity, and the ability to juggle multiple projects with varying deadlines. The successful candidate will demonstrate professionalism, superior organizational skills, careful attention to detail, and strong communication skills.
- Office management/administrative support experience in a professional environment strongly preferred.
- Bookkeeping experience a plus.
- Excellent office equipment and computer skills required, including databases, email, Microsoft Office applications, and cloud storage systems. Experience specifically with Office 365, Sharepoint, Quickbooks Online, or Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to develop effective organizational systems and understand the practices and policies that are necessary to maintain a high-performing office environment.
- A willingness and desire to jump in and help on any project, to learn new skills, and to take ownership of assignments.
- Understanding of, and passion for, the ACLU mission. A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, past involvement with the criminal justice system, ability, and socio-economic circumstance. Able to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
Compensation & Benefits
The pay range is $15-$20 per hour and based on experience. This position is eligible for a 401k match, paid parking, paid vacation, paid sick leave, and flexible scheduling generally within the timeframe of M-F 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. This part-time position is not eligible for certain benefits reserved for different employment categories such as health insurance.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include in the subject line of the email: Office Manager. In your cover letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted beginning immediately and until the position is filled, at which time the job announcement will be removed from our website.